Monday, April 4, 2011

Friis Review


I LOVE coffee. I actually have to limit myself because I could drink coffee all day everyday. In fact, I started buying half-caff coffee for at home so I wasn't getting so much caffeine. Something that's a really big deal to me concerning my coffee is freshness. I cannot stand the taste of coffee that isn't fresh. That's why I was really excited when I heard about Friis coffee canisters and was given the opportunity to review one. We've been using it for about a month and a half now and we couldn't be happier with it. Let me tell you a little about the Friis freshness valve and how it all works...


(Info taken from the Friis website.)
The key to rich, full-flavored coffee is limiting the effects of these external forces through proper storage. Your coffee loses flavor with exposure to light, air, moisture, and carbon dioxide released after the roasting process.

The Friis Coffee Savor keeps your coffee fresh by locking in flavor while blocking out light, air and moisture. The Friis Freshness Valve vents away flavor destroying CO2 gas. When stored in a cool, dry place, your coffee stays fresh longer.

The patented Freshness Valve is the key to eliminating trapped CO gas. The valve is constructed with a unique filter that allows carbon dioxide gas to pass through without allowing oxygen or other gases back in. This one-way valve removes the trapped gas that breaks down and destroys coffee flavor over time.

All coffee is roasted, both whole bean and ground. This roasting process heats the coffee bean and caramelizes the sugars in coffee. It is this roasting process that creates the flavor degrading gas. Coffee is perishable much like fruit, milk or bread -- keeping coffee fresh is very important. Without a freshness valve coffee can not be kept fresh.


I had never really put that much thought into keeping coffee fresh before, but after using the Friis container over these past few weeks I can tell the difference in the taste of the coffee. It has maintained that fresh, robust taste that I like so much about coffee. I am thoroughly impressed with the Friis canister and if you like coffee, I know you will be too. Check out their website to find out more about their great products. Mother's Day is coming up and if you have a Mom who loves coffee, this could be a great gift idea!

No comments: