Wednesday, December 30, 2009

An Inconvenient Christmas by Joseph S. Bonsall and A Cup of Devotion with God by Dan and Dave Davidson

I had the pleasure of reviewing two wonderful books from New Leaf Publishing Group. Here are my thoughts on these books....



First, I reviewed a book called An Inconvenient Christmas by Joseph S. Bonsall about a family whose idea of the perfect Christmas gets sidetracked when they encounter several unexpected events, but which all end up leading up to the best Christmas ever. I read this over a couple of nights to the boys, leading up to Christmas, and they really enjoyed it. I think it's so important to remind our children (and ourselves too) that just because things don't always go the way we plan them or the way we think they should, it doesn't mean that the situation can't come out being truly wonderful anyway. What a great book to remind us all of that truth in a simple and easily understandable way.

The book info given at the website says...
It’s Christmas Eve and the Winstead family is on its way to Grandpa’s house for a traditional Christmas with lights, tree, presents, and turkey dinner. . . well, almost. A last-minute letter in the mail, an unexpected snowstorm, car trouble, and a fire all add up to make an inconvenient (to say the least!) Christmas for the Winsteads. Through it all, however, stripped of material encumbrances, the family learns about the true spirit of Christmas. • Heart-touching story by Joe Bonsall of the Oak Ridge Boys • Beautiful hardcover gift book, fully illustrated in color • Expresses a need for a more spiritual Christmas • Relates the true meaning of Christmas in a unique way • Makes a super Christmas gift Foreword by Larry Jones, president of Feed the Children Inspired by the Oak Ridge Boys’ hit song, “An Inconvenient Christmas,” written by Kyle Matthews This is one Christmas that the Winstead family would like to forget, but they will remember it forever.

A couple places where you can purchase this book are at New Leaf Publishing Group, Amazon.com and Christianbook.com




The second book I reviewed was a great little devotional called A Cup of Devotion with God. What really drew me to this devotional is the fact that I'm such a big fan of coffee and this devotional has a unique way of intertwining coffee and devotion time. The book is very small and perfect for keeping in my purse with my small Bible that I use during my devotion time in the morning as I have a half hour wait at the school before my middle son can go in. I love this time because it's quiet and I have my travel mug of coffee with me and I can just focus on the Lord. Once my devotions are done, my middle and youngest sons and I pray together. It's just such a great way to start the day. This little devotion book will be a great addition to that time. There are seven different topics that each include scripture, inspiring quotes, encouraging stories and coffee trivia. I've looked through it and plan to really dive into it when school goes back next week. Such a fun way to "perk" up my morning and share some wonderful time with the Lord.

The description of this book from the website is...
Fill your mug with fresh mocha, curl up on the sofa, and warm your heart with this uplifting gift book. The rich devotionals include encouraging narratives, inspiring quotes, and life-giving Scripture stirred up with reflections of coffee, treasures of friendship, and fellowship with God. Flavored with humor and blended with the aroma of quiet time, this book is a great friend to share the afternoon with. If you’re a coffee lover, this is the book for you. A Cup of Devotion with God is an assortment of pleasant thoughts and sage wisdom that will percolate through your mind all day.

Some of the places where you can purchase this book are New Leaf Publishing Group, Christianbook.com and Amazon.com

No comments: