Saturday, May 26, 2012

Crazy Fun

My crazy self told my sister back in December that I would be more than happy to watch my now 6 year old niece and 6 month old twin nieces for Memorial weekend so she and her husband could go on a canoe trip for the holiday weekend. What?!!! Everyone I tell that I volunteered for this little adventure thinks I'm a nutcase and yesterday, I thought they might be right. After my sister dropped all the girls off (Payton is 6 and London and Lily are the twins), the twins just cried and cried and cried. I decided to take them outside in the stroller for a little walk. We live on a dirt road now, so I thought a walk around our 2 acres would probably be better than on the bumpy dirt road. London immediately was quiet and just looked around at everything, but Lily continued to scream. I decided to just forget it and wheeled the stroller into the garage to take the girls into the house. Surprise to me when as soon as we hit the smooth terrain of the garage floor, Lily instantly got quiet. Hmmm...maybe I was onto something here. I ended up pushing the girls around in a circle in the garage for 20 minutes until they fell asleep and then had Gavin (my oldest son who is 13) help me pick the stroller up and bring it into the house. The girls proceeded to take a 1 1/2 hour nap in their stroller in the kitchen. From then on, the rest of the night went great. Both girls went to bed between 9:00 and 9:30 and Brian, Gavin and I were able to do our workout (I will definitely be doing a post about our new workout adventures/torture) and the older kids played in peace and we all went to bed around 11:30. The twins slept until Lily got up at 6:00 and I brought her out in the living room and fed, changed and played with her. Then London woke up around 6:30 and I did the same with her. Everyone else continued to sleep until little miss Lilycakes decided she was tired, but was going to fight sleep by screaming (around 7:45) and wake everyone else in the house up (except for big sister, Payton, who is clearly used to sleeping through their noisyness). So far, the day has gone great and they have all 3 been happy girls. I'm getting a little taste of what it would be like to be a mom of 6 between the ages of 6 months and 13 years. For a weekend, I think I can handle it. For my everyday...not so sure. I'm just enjoying all these sweet girls that I have the joy of watching and am thinking I'm more blessed than crazy by having them all here for the holiday weekend. We'll see if I still feel the same by Monday. ;-)

No comments: