Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Let Your Light Shine!

I had such a wonderful thing happen to me today and I wanted to share. I had posted on freecycle last week that I was looking for some stamping/scrapbooking supplies and a lady had contacted me and said that she had some that she would give me. I emailed back and forth with her a few times and today, after I picked the boys up from school, I went out to pick it up.
When I got there, she came out her front door carrying a big box, with a huge smile on her face and said "You must be Danielle!" She came up to me and gave me a big hug (yes, a hug, and I've never met the woman before today and only emailed her very simple emails) and said "Let me show you what I have for you, I think you'll really like it." She proceeded to open up this box and show me dozens of stamps (seriously, at least 30), a bag full of embellishments and tons of cute cardstock and paper, along with a few ink pads and shape punches. I was so excited! I couldn't believe she was just giving me all of this. She told me that when she saw my post, she realized just how much stamping stuff she had and that she was just hoarding it and wanted to give it to me. I thanked her like crazy and she just smiled so sweetly and told me I was welcome and to enjoy everything.
When I got into the van, Riley said "Mom, is she a Christian?" and Gavin said "Yes, look how nice she is and she gave Mom a hug and everything!" I told them that I didn't know if she was a Christian or not, but that she sure was very nice and Gavin said "I think she is. She looks like a Christian."
When we got home, we went through the box of goodies together and found several stamps and some papers that said things about praying and God and Riley said "See, she must be a Christian!" By now, I was thinking so too and I decided to email her and tell her what my boys had said and just let her know that she had really brightened my day by being so sweet and generous and that her kindness had had a real impact on my boys and she proceeded to send this email back to me...



Hi, Danielle.

From the lips of children and infants, You have ordained praise.. Matt 21:16 NIV

Isn't it amazing that kids can see things so clearly sometimes? Yes, I am a Christian. I love the Lord very much. I'm glad it shows. Your boys are very smart. You can tell them it has to do with- "this little light of mine..." I'm not sure if you're familiar with the children's song. The light of Jesus is in my heart, and I want to let it shine. (Matt 5:15-16) They can let the love and light of their Lord shine where ever they go, too. It's a good thing.

How neat! Thanks for sharing that with me. In the midst of a very chaotic and stress-filled day, this really cheers me up!

I'm glad that you have been blessed by the items. We like to use them to make cards for people as ways to minister and encourage them. We have enough to share though.

May God bless you and your precious family.
Sincerely,
Sharon


I was just blown away by this. God used two of His children to brighten each other's day and to bless one another. God is so good and I like to think of that unexpected hug from someone who is a stranger to me, as a little hug from God.

3 comments:

Susan Cook said...

Wow! Cool. Thanks for sharing that. That was so nice of her to give you her items & what your children said.

Thanks for stopping by my blog ~ Oh and happy anniversary to you too!

LLJ said...

I love real life stories like this! thanks for sharing.
Leanne

Morgan said...

What a cool story. Sometimes you meet people and just know that they too are followers of Christ, even if God's name never even comes up during the conversation.

How sweet that you both could be blessed through the experience. : )