Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Just a little rant...

I get so irritated by the content that is on t.v. at all hours of the day that is so completely inappropriate. Constant half-naked girls, women being portrayed as nothing more than sexual objects, perverse humor (that I ironically don't really find to be all that funny), swearing, innuendos, kid actors being disrespectful and sarcastic brats, etc. It's completely ridiculous! Brian and I have been talking a lot about how our cable is switching over to digital and we will soon lose most of our channels and that we refuse to spend the outrageous amounts of money that will be necessary to have the channels we've had. Most importantly, we've been talking about that between streaming video from the internet, services such as Netflix and the resources at our church library, we will still have plenty of t.v. available to us and will be able to ensure that our kids are seeing only appropriate things when they turn on the t.v. at our house. I'm in no way naive to the fact that they will still be subjected to these kinds of things when they go over to friends' houses and things like that, but I think it's important for them to see that it's important to us to not fill our minds with these types of images, but to instead seek entertainment that we can feel good about and that is in line with our beliefs and our faith. This has just really been getting to me lately and when my youngest son said "Well, that's suckage." when I told him it was time to write his letters during homeschool the one day and when I asked him where he heard that, he told me it was from a show on Nickelodeon, I knew it was getting out of hand. It's time to make some changes around here. Afterall "Be careful little eyes what you see, be careful little ears what you hear..."


Aaaahhhh, that feels better. Thank you for allowing me to vent.

4 comments:

Chari said...

AMEN!
We haven't had cable in 5 years, but let me tell you, there is A LOT of bad stuff on regular TV! We also stopped watching the news all together. If I want to know about the weather I just look it up online.

I remember a time growing up that my parents put the TV in the closet for over a year. We found plenty of other things to keep us entertained.

Sherri S. said...

I have to agree... tv is waaay to expensive for the stuff they show on it! It gets pretty pathetic...

I wrote up my retreat stuff on my blog! Go read it :D

LLJ said...

& just think about the commercials too sometimes are quite disturbing.

Kelly Pauley said...

I agree! There is definately a bunch of JUNK on T.V.